Tuesday, May 24, 2011

10 Things I Hate About You

This weekend we had a very brief jaunt up to visit Justin's family. We left Friday evening and stayed until Sunday afternoon so we basically got to say hello and then goodbye. Fortunately, it was long enough to go to Justin's cousin Jessi's wedding. It was my first non-church wedding and Justin and I both realized that our wedding experience it limited to say the least. I can only remember going to maybe 5 including my own and the one we just attended. It was beautiful and a fun night. Justin really enjoyed seeing his family and I did too. I feel like they all like me and pretty much my first and only rule for liking people is that they like me so we get along great. Justin's Mom and sister loaded me up with pickles and now and laters, which are the key to my heart. I love them. (You can take this as the food items or family members, both would be accurate). We were sad to leave and have already been searching our calenders to find a longer time frame for Ohioing this summer. Our schedule is slightly restricted due to the fact that we are HRAs. 
This job comes with a lot of responsibility and time commitment but also a lot of benefits. 

The transition from our lives in Lexington to Main Hall has cause me to both love and hate this place. Therefore, I am pretty much forced to make a list of pros and cons to help you fully understand the grand spectrum of our job. 

Hate:
1. Our shower does not work. 
The plumber is working on it but until they get the boosters they need to allow us to have more water pressure we are stuck walking down the hall to shower in the common bathrooms. This is fine because we do not have any residences right now. I am apparently very lucky since the act of me running to the bathroom causes every housekeeping, maintenance, and security person to suddenly appear in the hallway and strike up a conversation with me. No matter what time of day it is, no matter what I try, it always happens. At least something is being done and hopefully it will be fixed soon! 
2. Giving away my beloved furniture. 
Alas, we have less room and less storage but I de-cluttering and having less is really a positive so I guess I will part we my extras. We also have one of the largest HRA apartments so thank goodness for that!
3. Air freshener.
The other day somebody came and drilled a hole right above our door and permanently installed an air freshener with an overwhelmingly powerful smell. It smells like christmas and flowers had a baby. It doe not smell bad but we have to hold our breath to walk in our doorway. Adventure at its most dangerous I know. 
4. Washing dishes in a bathroom sink. 
Nuff said. 
5. The super bright lights that shine in our window. 
We will be investing in blackout shades. 

While the cons are annoying the benefits greatly aid me in making sure Justin is taken care of. 
LOVE:
1. Justin can walk to class in less than a min. 
This is awesome because it means that he can pretty much walk anywhere he needs to go while I drive our one and only car to my various commitments. 
2. Cafeteria food. 
We only get lunch during the weekdays right now and then just get what we want from the kitchen once a week. We can't wait for all three meals to be offered when EFY gets here. I love this because Justin likes to eat a lot of different things at once. I love cooking but it is hard to make that many different things. This is perfect and I am sure I will be longing for a personal chef when we leave here. 
3. Saving money instead of spending it. 
We have all of our utilities, rent and food taken care of. The next year is all about making the most of that and saving! What a blessing it is to get this kind of head start when you are  a new married couple. 
4. Working with cool people.
All of the other HRAs, Brother Bouchelle, and Scott Doxey are fun people to work with. Work is always better when you like who you are spending time with.
5. Being on campus, not having a full-time job, and not being a student. 
It's pretty much the most awesome thing ever. I get to control my schedule, take care of my family and hang out with my friends. Win, win, win!!! 

Well, the cons I can deal with and many of them will go away with time (the air freshener might go way in the night but I won't know anything about it). Now we get the upcoming efy to look forward to and man am I stoked! I get to see Kayla and all my other favorite people. Let's just hope I don't have to share a shower with any of them:-/

No comments:

Post a Comment